“I found out that on Friday I had contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19. As a result of that and in accordance with sanitary procedures I am going into quarantine,” Morawiecki said in a video message published on Facebook.
He added that the government will continue to operate “normally” and that he will be working from home, while the upcoming government sitting will be conducted via videoconference.
The government’s spokesperson, Piotr Mueller wrote in a statement on the government’s website that the Polish PM “has not been diagnosed with Covid-19 to date. Neither does he have symptoms of disease.”
He also tweeted that Morawiecki had come into contact with an officer of the state protection service, which provides security for the government.
As the PM’s COVID-19 testing and the length of his quarantine will be decided by the sanitary inspectorate and doctors following tests, it remains unclear whether Morawiecki will participate in the upcoming EU summit, scheduled for October 15-16, Muller told Reuters.
Morawiecki’s announcement came a few days after Poland imposed new restrictions to stem spread of the virus, after reporting record infections for a fifth straight day. The new measures announced on Saturday, include special shopping hours for elderly people and an extra government funding to care homes, while wearing a face mask outside had already become mandatory, a few days earlier.